Monday, January 16, 2017

Windows 7 behind network switches

Windows 7 behind network switches


 Recently Ive been setting up some Windows 7 machines on our network for eventual use in another location on our LAN behind a different ethernet switch.

Up until I moved the machines they were part of the same workgroup as a bunch of other machines including Mac and Linux boxes on the same LAN. I also had them configured as a "Work" location rather than Public.



After placing behind a different switch Windows 7 marked them as on unidentified network and I couldnt figure out how the heck to change them back or tell Windows 7 to trust the new location.

Eventually after searching the internet I found this page on Microsofts MSDN Blogs with the information I needed. I tried the following supplied by blogger "RSOLY777" :

1. Start Ð> run Ð> MMC Ð> press enter
2. In MMC console , from menu file select Add/Remove Snap-in
3. Select Group Policy Object editor Ð> Press Add Ð> select Local computer Ð> press OK Ð>press OK
4. Open Computer configration Ð>Windows Settings Ð>Security Settings Ð>select Network list manager policies. On the right Side you will see options for :
double click Ð>Unidentified networks

Then you can select the option to consider the Unidentified networks as private and if user can change the location except I set this to User can change Network Location. Apparently this is intentional behaviour.

By changing the name to the Workgroups name again I found that connectivity to all things expected was once again restored for both machines.

I hope this entry helps others caught in a similar situation and may save a lot of wasted time.

Go to link Download